Sunday, August 11, 2013

Grandma Pickett



On July 1 Grandma Pickett left her earthly body and joined my Grandpa Pickett!  I was lucky enough as a child to have 4 Grandparents who all lived within 2 blocks of me.  My Grandpa Pickett had been my only living Grandparent for the last 7 years.  She was an excellent Grandma.  She loved me and my children and cared deeply.  She was a fantastic grandma to me as an adult and as a child.

Grandpa spend countless hours supporting me as a kid.  She shopped with me, drove me places and cleaned with me.  Grandma was a clean freak!  I certainly learned the value of a clean house from her and my mom.  She was a fierce candy maker and on every holiday  make Boston piano recitals and put together some incredible program.  She threw the best family parties ever and I have so many memories from Christmas Eve, Thanksgiving and Halloween.  Every holiday had a tradition and we were loyal to those traditions!

Grandma was intense!  I mean intense!  Everything she did was with passion!  She attended nearly every sporting event I ever participated in.  She did the same for all my siblings and cousins.  Grandma was so candid and funny!  Her direct personality was a blessing!  You always knew where you stood.

My Grandma loved the gospel.  She lived it every day and was proud of her membership in the Church.  She held it sacred.

My  Grandma grew up in Wellsville and I have early memories of attending the "Founders Day" celebration every Labor Day.  To this day we attend that celebration.  Grandma loved Wellsville and so do I.  When she was in the nursing home we would spend a lot of time talking about Wellsvile and it's citizens.  Grandma left a great legacy here.  In my ward alone there are 5 families who are direct descendants of my Grandma.  What a blessing!!!

My sweet Grandma loved me as an adult.  She worried sick about me and the girls and thanked Jeff endlessly when we got married because he could now take care of us.   Grandma was able to attend our wedding in good health which was a huge blessing to me.  I wish she would have been able to attend our sealing but her health wouldn't allow it.  We certainly felt her presence that day!!

I will forever be grateful to Grandma for having such a profound influence in my life.  She has certainly played a large role in my life and not a day goes by that I don't think about her and hear her voice in my head.  I love her, I love the legacy she left of hard work and love.  Thank you Grandma for being you!!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Us

Elder and Sister Dattage are currently serving in the New Mexico, Farmington mission! They are serving in Zuni, New Mexico in the Zuni Branch!

Followers