Thursday, May 20, 2010

Wet Wellsville Mile

What the Wellsville Mile has been in past years..  1300 4th and 5th graders from the South end of Cache Valley who have trained for several months to compete in a mile run.  A sunny day to sit and visit with the wonderful people of Wellsville and Cahce Valley and watch your kids and all their friends try run their hearts out.  Tons of tears and tons of photos! 

What the Wellsville Mile was this year.. An ABSOLUTE down pour.  Four hours of straight rain.  Not a light mist but a serious down pour.  So much rain that most people did not pull out their cameras and everyone’s teeth were chattering so much no visiting took place!  Given all that, it was still an event I would not have missed for the world.

Taylor ran in the pouring rain and did wonderful.  Her goal was to run in the lost 8s and she did just that!  Even given the rain she was cheered on by Jordan, Samantha, Reagan, Kim, Grandpa Elden and Grandma Tamra. I only got a few photos of her running.

mile10 004 mile10 005

Taylor at the starting line and Taylor down the final stretch! Hunter also ran!  I did not get any photos of him but he ran in just over 7:30 seconds and finished 5 or 6th in his heat!  Here are a few other photos I took.

mile10 008 mile10 006 mile10 009 mile10 007

A good friend of mine who we were sitting by sent her husband to get a canopy and that literally saved us!  I love the top right photo of the little girls doing a cheer for Hunter!  I did not get one good picture of Taylor in her running clothes.  The top left is after I had taken her home to change out of her dripping wet clothes.

After the Mile Kim and I took the kids to El Sol.  Yummy as usual.  On the way home Taylor and Hunter had a conversation that went like this:

Hunter:  I heard that so and so (un-named 5th grade boy) asked s0 and so (un-named 5th grade girl) to go to a football game

Taylor:  Are you serious?  That is like, so like not good.  I heard that so and so (un-named 5th grade girl) totally said to him like I can’t go because I have other stuff I have to do.

Hunter:  Can you believe that so and so (un-named 5th grade boy) would dare do that?  What was he thinking? I mean I would NEVER ask a girl to hang out like that

Taylor:  Well, I mean I totally would hang out with a boy but only one that is like totally  my friend, never one I had a crush on.

Hunter:  I know what you mean.

I love Elementary school politics!!  I also love how intensely there two talk sometimes.  Like world peace is riding on their conversation!

3 comments:

jilljohnson said...

Way to go Taylor! Nothing like a great run in the rain we should call her uncle Lance I thought he was the only one crazy enough to run in the rain.

Shea, Kim, Hunter, Reagan, Samantha said...

They crack me up!!! Love the Wellsville Mile!

Jen said...

What a cute conversation. That is quite the event. I guess we just need to embrace the rain this year, huh. Good job Tay!

About Us

Elder and Sister Dattage are currently serving in the New Mexico, Farmington mission! They are serving in Zuni, New Mexico in the Zuni Branch!

Followers