Saturday, October 9, 2010

Fall Conferences & Big Accomplishments

Disclaimer (again):  PLEASE FEEL NO OBLIGATION TO ENDURE MY ULTRA LONG AND PICTURELESS POST!

I have NO camera.  Okay, well I have Taylor’s little cheap-o that aggravates me so much I just leave it the cupboard.  I am looking for a new one so anyone with suggestions..

I did not want to go without a post on school thus far.  We had our fall parent teacher conferences this week.  Both of my girls have been blessed with excellent teachers.  Not just good teachers, but excellent teachers.

Taylor has Rocky Maughan who has won awards on the national level.  He is an great teacher and an ever better example.  Hunter had Mr. Maughan last year and I will often over hear he and Taylor talking about stories he tells or things they have learned.  At SEP conferences Mr. Maughan said Taylor was an “absolute delight.”  I was not worried about her academically because I am anal and know exactly what all of her scores have been.  So.. I was excited to know she is in all the advanced academic groups and doing well.  I was even more thrilled to hear that Mr. Maughan had never heard a mean or negative word out of her mouth.  Not only that, on a few occasions she had confronted kids who were being mean to others.  For me (who is OH SO struggling with the hormones of a pre-teen) those were the best words I could hear.  The most important  trait I have worked to develop in my kids is kindness and good character.  I have not worked to have the best athlete or the best musician or whatever else can seem to cloud everything.  So, this was payday for me.  It may not last so I will take it while I can get it!!

Taylor also had a big accomplishment..  She was selected to be part of an orchestra group called “Ambassadors.”  It’s a group of 5th graders from the entire valley.  She worked and practiced SO hard and she was SO excited!  Congratulations to my sweet Taylor!

Jordan also has SEP conferences.  She too has an excellent teacher, Teri White.  Mrs. White has taught school for 27 years and has the same love for life as Jordan does.  She is also our Stake Primary President and that woman teaches school with the spirit!  I love my weekly volunteer time because she is so dynamic and genuine.  Jordan has really loved first grade.  She is the youngest student in the first grade and is doing really well academically!  We are working hard on some blending sounds, reading and spelling.  Jord is a math whiz and seems to have  a knack! Jordan has a set of twins in her class with significant special needs.  Mrs. White got tears in her eyes when she told me how often Jordan plays with Brady and Bradley.  Jordan had been intimidated by the boys at the beginning of the year but she loves them now.  Mrs. White also said that Jordan was “never a behavior problem” and always so “fun.”  WOW!  We all know Jordan’s intensity and many of us have been told off, shunned or rejected by Jordan.  So, again I was awed at her kindness.  Following our conferences last night I was again full of gratitude to live in such a wonderful place where my children can spend significant amounts of time with such great people!

2 comments:

jilljohnson said...

Your girls are so sweet I love them both so much, so different but so amazing both of them!

Shea, Kim, Hunter, Reagan, Samantha said...

They are both terrific!!! Jordan does have a huge heart. When Reagie was walking into the the font area today Jordie was standing by the door. She gave Reagan one of those shake you hard hugs!!! Oh you know she had that look in her eye:) Made me cry:)`

About Us

Elder and Sister Dattage are currently serving in the New Mexico, Farmington mission! They are serving in Zuni, New Mexico in the Zuni Branch!

Followers