Monday, October 18, 2010

Island Park

So.. Most of you who know me know that I prefer a beach to the mountains and a hotel to ANY form of camping.  You all know that I DREAD car rides and usually feel like no amount of beautiful scenery is worth being a referee to children in the car.  Given that one would imagine that the following post would not be so favorable. However…

We went to Island Park and Yellowstone over UEA and it was one of the most beautiful, best experiences ever!  Jeff and I took our 3 youngest children.  We left on Friday and picked up Mitchell and went to visit Jeff’s mom.  Her heath is very poor and often when we visit she is not fully aware we are there.  Not so this weekend!  She had me in stitches!

Yellowstone 016 Yellowstone 018  Yellowstone 065 Yellowstone 069
   

I love Mitchy in the upper right.  What a sweetheart!  He is such a sweet tender kid.

After that we went to Mitchell’s school fall carnival.  We didn’t get photos but it was a great time.  The kids played games, jumped in a bouncy house and went through a haunted house.

That evening we headed to Island Park.  We stated in a beautiful cabin and I would LOVE to take my entire family there!!  The kids drank hot chocolate every night, sat in the hot tub and we had smores.

Yellowstone 025 Yellowstone 051
Yellowstone 050  

On Saturday we went to Old Faithful and West Yellowstone.  I have not been to Old Faithful since I was a kid!  It was incredible!

Yellowstone 033 Yellowstone 038
Yellowstone 035 Yellowstone 041

As you can see from the photos it was a bit chili!  It rained at times but never really significant.  When looking at these photos all I can say is I look like a dork!

We also say geysers and countless animals.  Okay, not countless.  The kids kept a running tally and to be exact we saw:

75 Bison, 9 elk, 1 swan, 1 bald eagle, 1 blue jay, 2 ducks, 1 beaver, 1 fish, 1 vulture, 3 crows, 1 mule deer, 1 moose and 17 geysers.  The moose was the highlight for me but all the animals were amazing!

Yellowstone 029 Yellowstone 031
Yellowstone 046 Yellowstone 042

Yellowstone 030

It was getting dark when we saw the moose so we did not get a good photo of him.  He was incredible!!!  We also spent a couple of hours shopping in West Yellowstone.  Jeff gave each of the kids some money and they bought stuff.  Mitchell bought a new gun, big surprise there!  Taylor bought ANOTHER porcelain doll, again big surprise!  Jordan (who always surprises me) bought a small horse, some magnets and one of those Russian stacking dolls..  That girl has a mind of her own.

On Sunday we went to Johnny Sack’s cabin and Mesa Falls then came home.  Johnny Sack’s cabin is in Island Park and was built by a 4’ 10” man by hand in the 1930’s.  Mesa Falls is a huge, beautiful water fall and one of my favorite places!

 Yellowstone 056
Yellowstone 058
Yellowstone 054
 Yellowstone 064 Yellowstone 057

As you can see I have photos.   The day before we left Jeff went and got us a new camera.  It was awesome! 

We had a great weekend and I felt so grateful to be so fortunate.  So fortunate to live so close to so many beautiful creations.  So fortunate to provide our kids with such wonderful opportunities.  So fortunate to be blessed with Jeff who is such a great provider, so hard working and so giving.   We were sitting at the bar of the cabin and Mitchy began telling us about a boy who was teasing him.  I teared up when I told the kids that is why they need to be especially good to each other.. in the end we are all each other have!

5 comments:

Brent and Katie said...

cute pictures! We love that area. My aunt lives in Ashton, just 15 minutes from Mesa Falls. It is a beautiful place!

jilljohnson said...

While you were at Mesa Fall you should have looked for my Academy for Girls Dorm Key, I lost it there when I was like 13. Looks like you had a great time.

Shea, Kim, Hunter, Reagan, Samantha said...

Looks like a lot of fun. I love the pictures of Jeff's mom and Mitchy. He is such a tender spirit. I can't wait to see Jordies stacking dolls. I have a major thing with those dolls. I LOVE THEM!!

Jen said...

That looks like lots of fun. We haven't been in years, and I really want to take my kids there next year. I love your family picture at the top of your blog!

Lyndee said...

Love your new family pic...so cute!!!

About Us

Elder and Sister Dattage are currently serving in the New Mexico, Farmington mission! They are serving in Zuni, New Mexico in the Zuni Branch!

Followers