Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Perspective

Disclaimer:  Don’t continue reading if you can’t stand a little sap!!  Sorry, to all of you but this is my only journal (I know, I suck!) and I want my children to remember not just all the fun stuff we did but the little moments that are so impactful!

I believe everyone once in a while our Heavenly Father sends an event our way that puts our lives and relationships in perspective.  I always feel particularly blessed at this time of year.  I love fall and love watching the beautiful mountains just blocks from my house change colors.  I also feel humbled when I send my children back to school.  It is amazing everything these little spirits navigate through every day. 

Recently my parents went on a cruise to Alaska… they of course did not come home empty handed.  They brought thoughtful gifts for everyone!  My mom (although retired, still a teacher at heart) bought totem poles for all of the kids and then read them a story about totem poles.  Sorry about the photo quality, I took these photos with my phone!

Alaska2

As most of you know my family was blessed with two new babies this summer.  Here is a photo of the grandkids, my parents and my grandma.  I am so grateful that we still get to spend time with her and that my children get to know her and create memories with her.

Alaska

Check out the two new babies!  I LOVE THEM!!  I love snuggling them and having their little spirits around!  So.. back to perspective.  After returning home from my parents house on Sunday I turned on the news.  I saw the Herriman fire and was sick.  My very good friend Angie lives in Herriman.  I called quickly and Angie said she couldn’t talk they were packing to evacuate but to call her parents.  So, that I did..   Her dad said that her house was several blocks away but at that time the fire was moving quickly.  I called her mom the next day to get an update and found out everything was fine.  But in that moment, I began to think.  Think about emergency preparedness, think about what I would take.  What I realized was how blessed I am because of the people in my life.  The relationships that sustain me.. Jeff, my kids, my parents, my grandma, my siblings and the special place each of my nieces and nephews hold in my heart.  

So, I thank my Father in Heaven for the perspective.  For the events in my life that cause me to pause.  That allow me, in a silent moment to organize my priorities.

3 comments:

jilljohnson said...

Very true. We are so blessed to have an amazing family. I am glad that all is well with Angie, what a scarry thing.

Shea, Kim, Hunter, Reagan, Samantha said...

Wow very true!!! We are so blessed.

momofsomja said...

Cute blog, Jodi! We have a lot in common, I'm a big sap,too! However, I have noticed that when I cry as the kids sing the national anthem, it's because I'm pregnant. Oh, please let that not be the case! :)

About Us

Elder and Sister Dattage are currently serving in the New Mexico, Farmington mission! They are serving in Zuni, New Mexico in the Zuni Branch!

Followers