Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Youth 2000 Leadership Conference

Last Monday Taylor and her Youth 2000 group went to a leadership conference in Provo.  I reluctantly offered to drive thinking it was a chance for me so spend time with Taylor.  I think it is SO important for me to get to know all of her friends and I felt like this was a way I could do so.  However, it turned out to be one of the most powerful, fun experiences in memory.  20 of her classmates went down and the conference was excellent.  We left Mendon at 6:00 a.m. and go back to Wellsville around 6:00 p.m. and I loved the entire time. 

The overall message  was so powerful.  Here are a few ideas that stuck with me the most:

Popularity ends on yearbook day, respect goes on forever.

Do the right thing, even when it’s hard and other don’t respect you for it.

Your first priority it to be nice.

Life is hard!  Get used to disappointment and if you make it a point to learn from disappointment you will become a better person.  Love others through their disappointment.

Learn to let go of things.

You are your own magic wand. 

Resist temptation and don’t give into “illusions.”   They told the story of a deadly snake who deceived his master into picking him up promising worldy reward.  When the master picked up the snake the deadly snake bit him.  The snake  then said to the master “you knew what I was when you picked me up.”

Don’t EVER get involved with drugs or alcohol. 

I could go on and on.  I truly wanted to stay longer to soak up the good feeling!!

Here are a few photos:

Youth2000 004 Youth2000 001
Youth2000 019 Youth2000 020
Youth2000 025 Youth2000 024

 

The bottom left photo is with John Bytheway!  He is an excellent speaker and I felt so blessed that the kids all got to hear him.  What an incredible day that I will not soon forget!!

The follow Monday the Youth 2000 did an assembly for the school.

Youth2000 026  

3 comments:

jilljohnson said...

What a great experience for Taylor and you! Thoes are all great things that we need to remember.

Tenaya Garrett said...

you seem like such a great mom! so greatful to have you as a VT. thanks for all you Do!`

Shea, Kim, Hunter, Reagan, Samantha said...

How fun!!! I loved Jon Bytheway when I was a youth...good to know he is still at it:)

About Us

Elder and Sister Dattage are currently serving in the New Mexico, Farmington mission! They are serving in Zuni, New Mexico in the Zuni Branch!

Followers