Sunday, November 7, 2010

Bands of America 2010

Taesha just finished her last high school marching band competition!  I cried yesterday both times she marched.  She is such a talented trumpet player and marching band has been such a rewarding experience!  Taesha has marched for Sky View for 3 years and this year, her Senior year, was phenomenal!  Sky View placed well all year.  They won the overall competition at ISU and ended this year by being Regional Qualifiers at BOA and took 5th in the regional finals.  That is the best placement by Sky View EVER! 

Yesterday we got to spend the day sitting in 75 degree sunny weather in St. George. 

BOA2010 011 BOA2010 016
BOA2010 019 BOA2010 022

I love band kids! I love that 100 silly teenagers can produce a show that brings adults to tears!  I love that they love music!  I love the positive influence they are one each other!  I love band parents.  They are down to earth, excellent individuals that I would choose to spend time with any day!  It is a rule that a band director can’t be on the playing field during the competition!  I love to see the band director walk his kids onto the field and then they take over.  The hope is they worked hard enough, learned enough and can perform well!  Much like life!

I am sad to see marching band come to an end and am grateful that I got to be the “mother figure” to Taesha as she would say.  Grateful that she has blessed my life and made me proud beyond words.  Grateful that she provided this example to the younger kids and I hope some day they too join marching band!  

Last night when Mr. Beach “dismissed” the kids he had the Seniors stand in the middle of the cheer.  Among other things they said were the words “with pride.”  T, I hope that you are so proud of your accomplishments with band over the past 3 years.  It is a culmination of 1000’s of hours of work.  Work in the hot sun, sleeping on gym floors with not enough to eat!  Proud that you so valiantly finished what you started!  Proud to be part of such an amazing group of kids!  T, I hope that you are proud that your work touched other people and certainly gave me memories and friendships I will never forget!

I love you Taesha Rain you are 1 in a million… NO 1 in a trillion!  Congratulations Taesha and Sky View!!

BOA2010 026 BOA2010 028

BOA2010 027

2 comments:

Shea, Kim, Hunter, Reagan, Samantha said...

Congrats to T.!! Sounds like they did awesome!!

jilljohnson said...

Go T. Sounds like it was awesome what a great experience for her!

About Us

Elder and Sister Dattage are currently serving in the New Mexico, Farmington mission! They are serving in Zuni, New Mexico in the Zuni Branch!

Followers