Thursday, September 9, 2010

Founders Day 2010: PC?NOT

I love Labor Day in Wellsville.  The city celebrates Founders Day and it’s a BIG DEAL.  I love living in Wellsville.  I love that people still ride horses on the road.  I love that you still see boys walking on the street with BB guns.  I love that the town holds it’s heritage very dear and if in celebrating it offends a few far too sensitive people so be it.   If it’s something they believe in  celebrate it and if you don’t… then don’t come!  Ok… I am done now. 

 

We kicked off the day with a Kids K, 5k and 10k fun run.  We had a great time.  Jeff ran the 5K and Taylor, Mitchell, Kendall and Sammy and I ran the kids K.

Foundersday2010 001

Sammy ran the entire mile holding my hand.  A precious memory for me and quite possibly the most enjoyable mile I have ever ran!  All the kids did great, Taylor and Ken ran in about 9 minutes, Mitchell in about 12 and Sammy and I in 13.  Sammy did not complain the entire time and also never walked. 

Following the we went to the parade.  Taylor’s Youth 2000 was in the parade as was an Elden Dattage truck carrying the Caprielles.  I didn’t get a ton of photos because my camera broke (yuck) and I am using Taylors!

Foundersday2010 004 Foundersday2010 005
Foundersday2010 003 Foundersday2010 006

The Calvary starts the parade and the “Indians” end the parade.  Everyone then heads to the “sham battle” where the Calvary saves the day.  The Sham Battle is live with real time horse back riding, fighting and a shed starting on fire.   Check out Kim’s blog for better photos.  Jordan got tired of the sun and here is our only photo from the Sham Battle.

Foundersday2010 009

Following that we went to Kim and Shea’s for a BBQ.  What a great afternoon.  All my siblings were there with their kids and Jen and Jer as well.  We had a great time!!  That usually ends our day but the Watrin’s decided to participate in the youth rodeo. 

Samantha, Reagan and Hunter all rode animals of some sort.  Jill, Kim and I chased cows and WE SUCKED!!  Those cowgirls can really move! 

Foundersday2010 011 Foundersday2010 014
Foundersday2010 017 Foundersday2010 020

Jill, Adam, Maelee, Andrew, Jamie, Kendall, Kyson, Kim, Shea, Reagan, Samantha, Hunter, Jordan, Taylor and myself all attended.  How we arrived at the rodeo we will keep private but laugh at FOREVER!! 

Hunter rode his cow for 8 seconds.  Following that I heard him telling Taylor that he was sure that after working with Grandpa for about 5 years he definitely make a living at the cowboy thing!!  Our kids love their Grandpa, who was on a cruise and will be heart sick that he missed his grandkids being cowboys and cowgirls!! 

Another great Founders Day for the books..  Here is to another great year living in the little country town I feel like is my home!!

2 comments:

Shea, Kim, Hunter, Reagan, Samantha said...

PC Not!! I agree..stay away if you don't want to see the cowboys fight the Indians!! All that means is better seats for us next year!!

jilljohnson said...

I love this day I looks forward too many more fun ones!

About Us

Elder and Sister Dattage are currently serving in the New Mexico, Farmington mission! They are serving in Zuni, New Mexico in the Zuni Branch!

Followers