Sunday, October 16, 2011

Special Firsts…

What an incredible week we have had.  It seems the longer you wait for something the more meaning it has when it is here.  I have been waiting for 8 long months for Baby Kinnick to arrive.  We had all planned on Friday….  BUT our Heavenly Father had other plans.  Kim called me on Tuesday  morning about 7:30 and she was in labor.  She sent Regan and Samantha across the street to me and headed to the hospital.  Kim had told me to go to work because she was not sure what they would do.  I am only working 3 days a week now while the girls are in school and go figure this was a work day!  So I headed into work but did not even make it to my office before Shea called and said get the kids we are a go!

So.. I turned around from Logan and headed straight to Willow Valley to get Hunter and Taylor, then headed to Mountainside to get Regan, Samantha and Jordan.  Seeing the kids faces when I told them while they were checking out of school may have been one of my favorite events of the day.  They were all SO thrilled.  On the way to the hospital I heard statement such as:

Samantha to Jordan (who is eating snacks on the way to the hospital):  How can you eat when your “other mother” is about to have a baby.

Jordan to Samantha (who is worried if her vest matches her pants):  How can you worry about fashion when you mother is having a baby?

Hunter to Samantha:  You may not be able to hold him, it’s likely a 7 year old would drop a baby on his head.

Regan to me:  I wonder how big he will be.  You know, I weighed nearly 10 pounds. I just totally relaxed inside my mom until I was forced to come out… So true of Reg’s personality today.

We hurried to the hospital but still did not make it before Kim had to go into surgery to the C-section.  Aunt Jill brought donuts to the waiting room and ever so patiently we waited….

Kinnick11 017 Kinnick11 018
Kinnick11 020 Kinnick11 019

We didn’t have to wait long and Shea brought beautiful baby Kinnick to the window.

Kinnick11 021 Kinnick11 022
Kinnick11 033 Kinnick11 030 Kinnick11 032

Kinnick11 026

Kinnick arrived about 9:52 am and weighed 8 lbs and 12 oz.  He is the sweetest most perfect baby and we all fell in love with him immediately.  Jordan and Taylor were quite peeved that they couldn’t go back and see him.   But rules are rules and we all knew they would get plenty of time to hold him.

Kinnick11 042

I took the kids to the gift shop so they could buy the baby a gift.  Mannie ended up with a shirt that said “big sister.”  Reg bought him a dinosaur book and Hunter and Taylor took FOREVER picking out a stuffed animal.  In the end they choose a giraffe.  Their reasoning was that he could hold the giraffe easy because of his small neck and that both of them could “just picture him playing with it.”

Kinnick11 028

After the initial meeting of the baby we took the kids out to lunch.  We had a great time and Regan and Hunter both celebrated with a pound of crab courtesy of Grandpa.

Kinnick11 036
Kinnick11 038
Kinnick11 035

The next 3 days I had the privilege of spending lots of time with Kim’s kids.  We had such a great time!  The night before Kinnick and Kim came home we made posters to decorate the house.  The kids took this job very seriously and it took them about 3 hours.  Finally about 10 at night I made them finished.  Hunter and Taylor told me I had “hurried their work.”

Kinnick11 046  
Kinnick11 047  

Finally it was the day Kinnick was to come home.  My girls were SO excited because they had yet to hold him!  Here are the kids running from my house to Kim’s.

Kinnick11 048

Welcome Home baby Kinnick.  There is no lack of pure love in this child’s life.  In his short time on this earth he has already blessed our lives in so many ways.  Newborn babies are so tender and there is no doubt that veil is very thin for them.

Kinnick11 049 Kinnick11 050

Kinnick11 051

2 comments:

Lyndee said...

So exciting for your whole family! Congrats to Shea and Kim! He is a cutie! And Congrats to you on the 1/2 marathon! Way to GO!!!

Shea, Kim, Hunter, Reagan, Samantha said...

This is the sweetest post ever. You were amazing and such a blessing while I was in the hospital. You did so much and I am so thankful!!! You really made the time special for the kids!!

About Us

Elder and Sister Dattage are currently serving in the New Mexico, Farmington mission! They are serving in Zuni, New Mexico in the Zuni Branch!

Followers