Monday, May 27, 2013

Chaser Graduates from Virginia Tech



I have recently been reading a lot of articles and on blogs how people who "have made the decision to be childless" are much happier people than those of us with children.  (Note... made the decision to be childless, not childless for circumstances out of their control).  While some days I would tend to agree with that, on most days I just feel sad about the direction of the world.  Childless people may have more free time, more money and go on more vacations but they have never been able to feel the pure joy of watching your child truly succeed.  They have never watched their children struggle and work and in the end succeed in something they have wanted so badly.  That is pure joy!  Joy that no amount of money, vacations or anything else can meet.  It was we parents call a "pay day."

Chase officially graduated from Virginia Tech on May 18th with a degree in Mechanical Engineering.  On May 17th he participated in the Universities commencement and on May 18th the College of Engineering had their ceremony.   I will never forget walking into Lane Stadium and seeing all those graduates walk in.  Truly overwhelming!!

 The graduates at Lane Stadium
 Jordan, Grandma and Grandpa waiting for Graduation to start.
 Tay and Mitchell


 Chase put a fake chicken wing on his graduation hat so we could pick him out of the crowd.  Funny!!  The Hokie's theme is "Go Invent the Future."  Love it!  


 All of my cute kids after Graduation
 My Mom and Dad traveled with us to Virginia!  So fun to have them there!
 Seriously, my two of my favorite men in the world!

 Chaser after the main commencement.  What an incredible kid!

On Saturday the College of Engineering had their graduation.  Chase received his diploma there.  He has worked SO hard, it was truly delightful to see him get his diploma.  At the College of Engineering graduation one of the speakers said, "You are not just an engineer you are a Virginia Tech Engineer."  
Here are a few photos after the College of Engineering commencement.

 How handsome are these two?
 I love my sweet boy!
 Grandma and Grandpa


Diploma in hand!!




Chase lived with the same 3 boys all 4 years of college!  They lived in 3 different places.  Their freshman year they had to live in the dorms (sickest elevator I have ever been on).  Their Sophomore and Junior years they lived in an apartment together and their Senior year they rented a house together.   When Jeff and I or just Jeff would visit we would always spend time with these kids and they are great kids!
 Chase and Thomas
Dan and Chase (what are they doing?)
Chase's 4th room mate was named Eddie and he and his family were awesome!  He will be graduating after Fall Semester so we missed them that day.  Here is a photo of the house they lived in their Senior year.
It is actually under construction right now as they are making it a duplex!

Congrats to Chase for working so hard and completing such a big accomplishment!  It was an incredible event to watch.  I met Chase when he was 15 and he has grown in my heart ever since.  They fall of his Freshman year when he left us to go to College I cried for days.  Jeff and I went out to parent's day that year and I cried for days again when we left.  In Chase's 4 year at school Jeff visited Chase 6 times and I made it 3 times, I would never change those memories.  After Chase's graduation we all went on vacation together (check out upcoming posts) when we left to fly home and Chase got on the train to go back to Virginia it was my hardest good bye yet.  Because this time there is no "summer break"  no "Christmas break" or "Spring Break" to look forward too.  Chase will get a job and my months at a time with him have come to an end.  Graduation was a rite of passage and although he has lived on his own for many year he always came "home" to us.  Although he will still some "home" our time will be more limited.  Selfishly, I hate that.  But as a Mother I am so proud of him, the "adult" he has become and the "future he will invent."  I love you Chaser and am SO proud of you!  Pure joy that day, that is what I felt!

2 comments:

Shea, Kim, Hunter, Reagan, Samantha said...

Congrats Chase!! What a great post!

jilljohnson said...

Yes there are tears in my eyes right now! Congrats Chase, we love you and wish you the best!

About Us

Elder and Sister Dattage are currently serving in the New Mexico, Farmington mission! They are serving in Zuni, New Mexico in the Zuni Branch!

Followers