Monday, December 20, 2010

Tender Heart

My heart is always tender at this time of year.  This year it seems to be particularly tender.  I love Christmas, I love talking about the birth of Christ with my kids and I love the spirit that accompanies this time of year.  Jeff has the camera right now so I will update you with events soon.  We had our first day of skiing, Taylor’s winter orchestra concert and several other parties.  Look for posts to come.

As most of you have read in previous posts several weeks ago one of our ward members was in a severe accidents.  The girls have been persistent in praying for Brother Lindley.  And not just my girls..  all kids around here!  Last Saturday a family that had 4 kids at Mountainside Elementary were involved in an accident and two of the children passed away.  One boy in particular was in 1st grade and in Jordan’s class last year.  I don’t know this family, I know a few of their children at the school.  What a perspective building experience.  On Monday mornings I read in the 1st grade.  Today,  like every Monday morning I headed to school but this Monday was different.  Jordan’s teacher gathered the kids around and sat with them on the floor, looked at their little eyes and had the most faith promoting discussion with them I have EVER been a part of.  What a blessing to be the “Monday Mom” this week.  The school then had a sing a long planned and the Orchestra was playing several songs for the school.  Taylor’s orchestra teacher asked the children to think of ways to “love one another better” during the last two songs.  As I watched my sweet 10 year old play the violin for the school I was in awe. I can’t explain the feeling there but know that our Heavenly Father blessed the school today.  I know there were tender mercies all day.   When I publish my blog in a few weeks I hope to refer to this post when the following happens:

Jordan has beat the tar out of Taylor all day and I would like to throw her out the window!  Jordan has told me I am “not invited to her birthday party” OR used the word “stupid” numerous times.

Taylor has rolled her eyes at me 9 million times and has so much attitude it is oozing out of her pours!  Taylor has complained steadily about her lack of “privacy, computer time, tv time and/or everything else for that matter.”

Jordan and Mitchy have said “but that’s not fair” so many times that I quit counting 6 hours ago!

And when I am wondering about this role of motherhood thing and wondering who exactly signed me up to be a mom.

I will consider the following:

Our children are given to us by our Heavenly Father, we made a commitment to parent and teach with the spirit…  Where anger is the Holy Ghost is not.

NOTHING that has so great a reward as parenthood is easy.

Patience is NOT a virtue I was born with and must continue to work on developing. 

Where much is given much is required.  I live in an incredible community that is grounded in the Gospel. I live among people I love to serve. People who know me and I can count on.  I was given 5 children to teach and love.  Although not daily for 3 of them I still have a responsibility to influence.  I was given an incredible family who I am blessed to serve and love daily.  I was given the best partner (I hate the word Fiance, although partner has its own implications)  in the world who ever so patiently deals with my intensity and many imperfections.  Because of that I am required and lucky to give back.  I have learned that looking inward will never provide the blessings of looking outward. 

And finally:  The Atonement, the Plan of Salvation, Eternal Families, Tithing, Fasting, Prayers and love are all blessings of the Gospel that I take great comfort in!!

Merry Christmas and I promise the next post will go back to the norm!!!

3 comments:

jilljohnson said...

It is so true life is so fragile. I need to book mark this post so I can refer to it also when Andrew is tackeling Maelee!

Shea, Kim, Hunter, Reagan, Samantha said...

Sweet~Jordie always does Tuesday morning prayer at my house. Today she blessed that the little boy that passed would be happy being back with his maker. I have been crying all day about it. She put it in perspective that he will be okay...he is with his maker. It is just his family that we need to worry about.

Jen said...

That was a neat post Jodi. It really does help to stop and count our blessings...even if they may be arguing with us or each other. I read those obituaries in the paper this morning, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about that family all day...I just can't imagine. On a happier note I can't wait to see you all on Christmas Eve.

About Us

Elder and Sister Dattage are currently serving in the New Mexico, Farmington mission! They are serving in Zuni, New Mexico in the Zuni Branch!

Followers